Every follower of Jesus Christ has at least one responsibility. That responsibility is called the Great Commission. It is not something just for someone who has the “gift” or “skill” of evangelism. It is the call to every disciple of Jesus Christ.
Recently I was reading a book by Greg Stier and he was writing about the idea of a Gospel Advancing Strategy. As I was reading I couldn’t get the idea out of my head about how truly strategic Jesus was in giving His disciples the Great Commission.
This is the method that Jesus Christ has given us to share good news to the poor, to proclaim liberty to the captives, to set free those who are oppressed (Luke 4:18), to be witnesses of who God is and what He has done through the Person of Jesus Christ, His Son.
So how exactly is this commission strategic? The answer is in Matthew 28:19-20:
- Go make disciples
- The strategy begins with our daily lifestyle and attitude. As we are going about our daily life, we are to make disciples of other people. This means that every part of our lives should point to the Gospel.
- Of all nations
- There is no exception. Every single person regardless of color, language, political party, social standing, or financial status needs to hear the Gospel.
- Baptizing them in the name of the Father, Son, and Holy Spirit
- After sharing the Gospel of Jesus Christ, when someone believes and puts their faith in Jesus as their Savior and Lord, they should be baptized in water. This is a public profession of that new follower of Christ that their life has been transformed and they are committing to follow Christ.
- Teaching them to observe all that I have commanded you
- The work is not complete. Now we must train and teach the new believer about the Bible. Bible reading and prayer are key here. We must get the new believer plugged into a church and a community of believers so they can learn and grow together in community. This new believer is now ready to go and make disciples.
- And Jesus is always with us to give us confidence and power
- None of this has to, or can, happen in our own power. God works in us and through us to spread the Gospel from where we are to the end of the Earth.
Let’s be passionate about pursuing the lost with this strategy Jesus Christ has given to us to reach the entire world with the Good News that we are set free from bondage, rescued from the wrath of God because of sin, and redeemed to live a life of joyful fellowship with God.